Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Organization ~ Choices


It is true that I have only been married for just over 3 months, and I have had my own home for just as long. Therefore, I can't say that I am qualified to give out advice to other wives/mothers, but I can at least share what I have learned, and actually, this can apply to anyone, regardless of age or marital status. But one thing that I have learned (and it took me 3 months to learn it, at least as far as having my own home is concerned), is that as long as your bedroom is clean and organized, the rest of your home doesn't look so bad and you'll be surprised how quickly you can get it all into order. Of course, as we all know (from lots of experience) that when you clean and organize a room, it doesn't take long before it get's disorganized again. And when you develop a method, or the Lord gives you insight to see how something might work better for you one way compared to the way it was before, it doesn't always just go the way you want it to. It takes time, and discipline, as well as habit. My Dad once told me that it takes 21 times of doing something, for it to become a habit, but only 3 tmes of not doing it to break the habit. That is so true.
My new goal is to always keep my bedroom in perfect order, and not to let anything hinder me in reaching that goal. I know that it will not always be in perfect order, and I am going to have to work to keep it organized and straightened (as well as dusted and clean :) ), but I know it is worth it. I have never been one to always have my bedroom a total wreck. As a matter of fact, for the most part, I have always kept my room in very good order. Even since I've been married and half of my room is my Husband's "office," I have kept it "in order" in a general sense. However, there is such a thing as "ordered clutter." I have never set out to have "ordered clutter" in any space, but nevertheless, that does happen when I allow moments of laziness to just "straighten" everything instead of de-clutter. This is true in any space, not just the bedroom. I can be a spot on the table, or an end table in the living room.
I know that I took a while to get here, but it all comes down to choices, little choices that we make, sometimes unconsciously, every minute of the day. Without even realizing it, we make the choice to just straighten something rather than taking just a few moments more to actually discover if maybe this item goes on the shelf 5 steps away, or maybe it can even go into the garbage. If we just purpose to take a few extra moments to actually think about what it is we're straightening, than maybe things won't get to the point of being so cluttered, we look around and ask ourselves, "how did I let this get this bad?"

No comments: